Food and drinks from the European Union are more than just food and drinks. Each burst of flavour has its own character and behind every ingredient, there is a story. These stories tell of tradition and artisanship going back centuries, making food from the European Union truly unique, with authentic recipes handed down from generation to generation.
In the European Union, centuries of traditional production and know-how have been passed down through generations of farmers and manufacturers. The result? An incredible variety of unique products and tastes that reflects the diversity of soils, climates and cultures in Europe. Food and drink products that you might recognise by name are tied to these origins and can be protected by Geographical Indications (GI), which means that they cannot be reproduced elsewhere.
Quality products are about more than just taste. In the European Union, food safety is an unwavering priority – from the farmer’s fields to your table. Strict health and safety standards are in place all along the production and supply chain – monitoring everything from pesticides to packaging, disease prevention to hygiene and more. Labels clearly indicate the contents of all food and drink products, so you can trust and enjoy European foodstuffs without any surprises.
European food and beverage products are produced by skilled farmers and manufacturers, combining local traditions with cutting-edge methods. Quality controls are in place at every stage of European agricultural production – from farm to fork. Whether fruit, nut, grain, meat or dairy – each agri-food product is labelled, so you are aware of the nutritional value and can trace the ingredients back to their origins anywhere in the EU.
The food system, from production to consumption and waste, has a significant impact on the environment. With its Farm to Fork Strategy, the European Commission aims to create a sustainable EU food system that safeguards food security and protects people and the natural world. The strategy provides a framework for legislation targeting pesticides, animal welfare, food waste, a carbon farming initiative, the reform of the EU farm system, and more. The strategy will complement existing EU legislation and build a comprehensive framework that covers the whole food supply chain, guaranteeing the sustainability of EU food.
European Quality Labels
Protected Designation of Origin (PDO)
Food and drink product names registered as PDO are those that have the strongest links to the place in which they are produced. For a product to be listed as PDO, all aspects of production, preparation and processing must take place in the specified region of origin.
Protected Geographical Indication (PGI)
The PGI label emphasises that the quality, reputation or other characteristic of a product is largely attributable to the geographical location in which it was produced.
European Organic Label
The EU organic logo can only be used on products that have fulfilled strict conditions on how they must be produced, processed, transported and stored. Products carrying the EU organic logo contain at least 95% of organic ingredients and additionally respect further strict conditions for the remaining 5%.